Last Updated: July 28, 2021
A. Collection of Information
1. Information you provide to us
We collect personal informational you provide directly to us. “Personal information” is information that would allow someone to identify or contact users including users’ names, organizations, email addresses, contact information (such as email address, postal address, and phone number), credit card and other payment information (which may be collected directly by a third-party processor), and any other information you choose to provide. We collect personal information when you sign up to receive updates, request information, fill out a form, sign a petition, sign up as a volunteer, sign up for an event, create an account, participate in a contest or promotion, make a donation or purchase, communicate with us via third party social media sites, request support, send us an email, or otherwise communicate with us.
We may offer you the option to sign up for email communications, which may provide updates from us, invitations to events, or periodic newsletters. These communications are entirely voluntary and only serve to enhance our service. Users may limit the collection and use of their personal information by not participating in activities in which we collect personal information. If we send you promotional communications, we will give you opportunities to unsubscribe from these communications. Additionally, users may choose to discontinue the collection, use, and disclosure of their personal information by using the Website by not registering or by discontinuing use of the Website.
2. Automatically collected information
When you access or use our Website, we may automatically collect information about you, including:
Log and Usage Information: We collect information related to your access to and use of the Website, including the type of browser you use, app version, access times, pages viewed, your IP address, and the page you visited before navigating to our Website.
Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Website, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
Transactional Information: If you make a donation or purchase, we may collect information about the transaction, such as donation amount, purchase price, product details, and date and location of the transaction.
Location Information: We may derive the approximate location of your device, such as from your IP address.
Information Collected by Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies: We (and our service providers) use different technologies to collect information, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small pieces of information stored on a user’s hard drive, not on the Website. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic images that may be used in our Website or emails to help deliver cookies, count visits, and to help us understand usage and program effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, see Your Choices below.
3. Information we collect from other sources
We and our service providers may also obtain information about you from other sources and combine that with information we collect about you on our Website.
B. Use of Information
We may use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain, support, and improve our Website;
- Provide and deliver the information you request, process donations and transactions, and send you related information, including confirmations and receipts;
- Respond to your emails, comments, questions, and requests and otherwise contact you about your participation in a RLF program and the use of the Website;
- Communicate with you about RLF, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various issues, events, activities, and volunteer opportunities, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you (see Your Choices below for information about how to opt out of these communications at any time);
- To solicit volunteers, donations, and support for RLF, issues, and organizations that we support and to connect you with other volunteers;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Website;
- Personalize the Website and provide advertisements, content, or features based on your preferences, interests, and browsing and online activities;
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes, and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards;
- Detect, investigate, and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of RLF and others; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
C. Sharing of Information
- With vendors, service providers, volunteers, and consultants who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf. For instance, we may use third-party vendors (such as Google Analytics) to analyze how users use our Website. To learn more about how Google uses data when you use our Website, see www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/, or any other URL Google may provide from time to time;
- With organizations, groups, or causes that we believe have similar missions (This category excludes text messaging originator opt-in data and consent; this information will not be shared with any third party organizations, groups, or causes that we believe have similar missions.);
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
- When we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims, or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of RLF, its employees, volunteers, constituents, or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any reorganization or formation of a new committee or successor organization, asset sale or transfer, financing or lending transaction, or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of RLF;
- With your consent or at your direction.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used by those third parties to identify you.
D. Service providers
We occasionally use independent contractors and third-party agents, affiliates, and partners to conduct marketing, analytics, customer service or other services, on our behalf.
E. Assumption of risk
Although we strive to protect the transmission and storage of any information submitted by visitors to the Website, no transmission and storage of data is completely secure. Your submissions are solely at your risk.
Under no circumstance, to the extent permitted by law, will we be liable for damages resulting from use of information collected from visitors to the Website.
F. Your choices
- Account Information
You may request that we update, correct, or delete the information you provide to us by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. However, note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
- Promotional Communications
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails or text messages from RLF by following the instructions in those emails or text messages. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
- Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
The Website may use standard technology called “cookies.” Cookies are small pieces of information stored on a user’s hard drive, not on the Website. Cookies allow users to log in without re-entering information each time users visit the Website. Cookies help us understand how users in general use the Website, which allows us to continually improve the Website and tailor the user’s experience. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. If cookies are disabled, some parts of the Website may not work properly. Additional information on cookies and how to disable them is provided by the Interactive Advertising Bureau at www.allaboutcookies.org.
The Website may also use web beacons or flash cookies to allow us and our technology providers to analyze usage patterns.
G. Notification of changes
H. California Do Not Track Disclosure
Do Not Track is a privacy setting users can set in their web browsers. When a user turns on the Do Not Track signal, the browser sends a message to websites requesting them not to track the user. For information about Do Not Track, visit www.allaboutdnt.org, which includes information on how to turn on Do Not Track in your browser. At this time, the Website does not respond to Do Not Track browser settings or signals.
I. Links to other websites
J. Social sharing features
The Website may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button, which let you share actions you take on our Website with other media, and vice versa). Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on your privacy settings for the relevant social media site. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
K. Applicable laws
If you have any questions, contact us.
Resources Legacy Fund
555 Capitol Mall, Suite 1095
Sacramento, CA 95814